Wednesday, February 11, 2009

World Directive

My ex-husband was a pilot. We often flew in our small plane over the flat farmlands of Michigan. One day, in the middle of nowhere, we went over a stand of huge evergreen trees that had been planted, long ago, to read (from the air) BE KIND.  

I was stunned. Who had planted them? and when? And mostly, why? It was in the 70's and I wondered why they (he? she?) hadn't "written" the word Love or Peace. At that time, I thought the trees were rather quaint. But over the years, they have haunted me.
I have thought about them so much that recently I began to wonder if I had imagined them. So I called Alan and asked him if he remembered the trees. He did. I wonder if they are still there.

Now, after 30 years, I know that kindness encompasses all aspects of love and peace and if I ruled the world and had to make one World Directive it would be just that: Be Kind. 


1 comment:

Elspeth said...

Wow. Tear jerkingly fantastic and inspiring.